Pages

Friday 25 September 2009

King of the jungle

It so happened that on the very day that I received a couple of stamps that I won on ebay, including this large Magenta lion one, the topic on 365 today is 'it's a jungle out there', so I couldn't resist using the stamp straight away.

It's one of those stamps that is so finely etched that you can barely see any detail on the rubber - and it needs a fine ink pad. I had a few goes with various ink pads before I settled on the one that I'd first thought would be the best - versafine - the only trouble being that I didn't have a brown, so I had to use black (note to self: buy a versamark brown).

I used a sketch from a challenge that I've already done a card for - it's simple, but quite effective. It's Card Patterns sketch 33:



The challenge on this week's Stamp Something is to choose a favourite LO or sketch - although I've only come across this one this week, I'm going to link for that, because it is very unusual for me to use one twice like this - and I'm sure I'll be using it again.

The theme on this week's Inspire me Thursday is an open one, so I'm choosing to link this card there for that.

I stamped the lion on to a piece of orangy BG obscure paper, which I think gave just the right hint of colour as I had to use black ink.

C.R.A.F.T.
challenge 18 is 'no backing paper' - this card achieves that.



PS - I wouldn't normally be this cheeky, but it's now post midnight (I know, I should be in bed, but we've had such bad nights it's difficult to know when to be in bed and when not to be) - anyway, the new Saturday challenge for Lots to Do is now up on their blog and the theme for week 39 is 'black, orange and one other', which fits to well with this card - the one other being brown - and it was newly made tonight, so I hope it will count.

25 comments:

  1. Wow, what a fab stamp. Love the simple way you have presented it, really it speaks for itself or should that be 'roars for itself' lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant stamp, he is gorgeous. Fabulous card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is some stamp! Very realistic looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one exquisite stamp, shown off by a pro! Lovely work, Hazel! Love that you tied in this sketch for MORE great challenges: beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! that is one awesome stamp!! beautiful card :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card Hazel, thank you for joining us at CRAFT Challenge this week and good luck!

    Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW Hazel fab card

    Of course you can enter it into this weeks Lotstodo Challenge. There are no hard and fast rules on our challenge blog, it doesn't matter to me if you made it a year ago, let alone last week. Enter whatever you want, whenever you want - Sam xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful stamp and he looks just great stamped in black - like an old book illustration/etching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooh - thought just occurred to me. You might already know but brayering ink on to this kind of stamp is a fab way to get really good coverage and sometimes means you get a better impression with different ink types (not sure if you have a brayer, do you?).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Joanne, of course - I didn't think about the brayer (probably too tired for my brain to work properly) - I quite often use one when inking up my big foam stamps - thanks for jogging my memory - must try it with this one x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that's a lovely stamp Hazel, he looks so regal!!

    Fab card.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW that is a fabulous lion!!!! Great sketch too! Thanks for playing along at Stamp Something this week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely stamp, versafine is definately the best ink to use with it. I love the way you've stamped onto orange card, it's really effective. Thanks for joining us at C.R.A.F.T. this week.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable stamp and card, just love it. Thank you for joining in the fun at C.R.A.F.T. this week, good luck in the draw.
    Suzi x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hazle this is a fabulous card I love the image

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful image - thanks for playing at C.R.A.F.T. Cheers Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great card, fantastic image. I love this image! Thank you for joining us at CRAFT Challenge & good luck!
    Magda :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That image is AMAZING! Great choice of layout! Thanks for playing at Stamp Something!

    Janna :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super image. Thanks for taking part in CRAFT challenge. ANesha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Not an easy stamp to stamp with. Lovely card and beautifully stamped and executed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow...absolutely fabulous, Hazel! LynnF

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous card so simple and so effective the colours are perfect it for it.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated